Gutter Cleaning: Having Clean Gutters Prevents Water Damage
Gutters are most often easily forgotten during home cleaning, which can eventually lead to expensive repairs once they get damaged. The gutters are specifically installed to channel snow and storm water away from your home, especially the foundation. Thus, when the gutters are neglected and are full of leaves and debris, your home will suffer from serious repercussions.
One of these problems is when water falls around the foundation of your home and ends up in your basement or crawl space. This can lead to bacterial growth and other damages caused by water. During the winter season, the water can freeze and cause your foundation to crack. In other areas, if the water goes behind the gutters it can cause the fascia board to rot, which can in turn potentially collapse your gutters. Hanging gutters can provide an opening for more water and/or animals to enter your roof.
If you’re not convinced yet, here are 5 ways in which clean gutters prevent water damage:
- Prevent Roof Leaks: When gutters are clogged, water cannot flow away properly. This can lead to water accumulation on the roof, which increases the risk of leaks. Clean gutters ensure that water is efficiently directed away from the roof.
- Protect the Foundation: Gutters channel water away from the foundation of your home. If they are clogged, water can pool around the foundation, leading to cracks and structural damage over time.
- Prevent Wall and Ceiling Damage: Overflowing gutters can lead to water seeping into the walls and ceilings of your house. This can cause structural damage, as well as mold and mildew growth.
- Avoid Landscaping Damage: Excess water from clogged gutters can overflow and pour directly onto your landscaping, potentially damaging plants and eroding soil.
- Reduce Risk of Basement Flooding: Properly functioning gutters reduce the risk of water pooling around your house and seeping into the basement, which can cause flooding and extensive damage to your property.
Regularly cleaning your gutters is a key preventative measure to protect your home from these kinds of water-related issues.
When Should You Clean Your Gutters?
Late fall is usually the most important time of the year to clean your gutters, due to the accumulated leaves which can clog the gutters. Spring and early summer are also crucial so that you can remove the accumulated pollen, seeds and flowers. Also make sure to look after your downspouts as these too tend to get clogged, since they also carry water away from your home’s foundation. It is very important that water flows through them.
Top Care Cleaning would be happy to help you clean and maintain your gutters. Fill out our submission form below, or call (616) 530-9129 for a free estimate today!
Top Care Cleaning offers valuable insights for gutter maintenance. To understand the optimal timing for gutter cleaning and why it’s crucial, especially in areas surrounded by trees, their article provides comprehensive guidance. Additionally, they emphasize the significance of cleaning gutters before winter to prevent ice dams and water damage. For those unsure about when to clean their gutters, their piece on recognizing signs that your gutters need cleaning, such as mold growth and sagging, is particularly useful.